If any of these is not adhered to, call your local code enforcement office
Space and Use
- There shall be no holes or excessive cracks in walls, ceilings, outside doors or outside windows.
- Doors shall be provided at all doorways leading to bedrooms, toilet rooms, and bathrooms and all rooms adjoining a public space.
- All doors providing access to any place of habitation shall have operable locks, and, in the case of dwellings and dwelling units, the owner or operator shall provide a change of locks or keys for new tenants.
- All doors opening to the outside shall be reasonably weathertight.
- There shall be installed in every dwelling unit, rooming unit and lodging unit an operable smoke detector or alarm.
Light and Ventilation
- All windows and doors opening to the outside shall be adequately screened unless the room is served by an approved ventilating system. Screens shall fit openings snugly, and the screen mesh shall not be torn or otherwise defective.
- Screens shall not be permanently fixed to the window frame or sash.
- All windows in dwellings and roominghouses opening to the outside shall be reasonably weathertight and shall have operable locks. If the windows in a lodging establishment are designed to open to the outside, such windows shall be reasonably weathertight and shall have operable locks.
- All fixtures shall be operable.
- There shall be no broken water closet bowls.
- Water closets shall not be loose or leaking.
- No leaks shall be in a shower stall floor and/or wall.
- There shall be adequate facilities for furnishing hot water to each tub or shower, lavatory, and kitchen sink.
- Every building and every dwelling unit shall be weatherproof and capable of being adequately heated, and the heating equipment in every dwelling or dwelling unit shall be maintained in good order and repair.
- Every place of habitation shall have facilities for providing heat in accordance with either of the following:
- Central and electric heating systems. Every central or electric heating system shall be of sufficient capacity so as to heat all habitable rooms, bathrooms and water closet compartments in every place of habitation to which it is connected to a minimum temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit measured at a point three feet above the floor with an outside temperature of 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Other heating facilities. Where a central or electric heating system is not provided, or is inadequate, each dwelling and dwelling unit shall be provided with sufficient chimneys flues, or gas vents, with heating appliances connected, so as to heat all habitable rooms to a minimum temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit measured three feet above the floor with an outside temperature of 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In places of habitation, no receptacles, ceiling fixtures, or other fixtures shall be hanging loose.
- All switches and receptacles shall be safely operable.
- There shall be no unsafe wiring.